Friday, September 23, 2011

I Sometimes Get Stuck

If you know me, you know I’m a pretty traditional woman. I am in a traditionally female line of work, I have a traditionally feminine appearance, and have a traditionally female set of skills and interests. My parents have a mostly traditional and very successful marriage. If I got to choose my gender, I would choose to be a woman. So I find it weird that I think about my identity as a woman all the time.

But I do. I read articles, listen to sermons, and think about what the Bible says. I make lists of pros and cons. I make notes in books. I think about it a lot, even when I don’t mean to.

It’s not just the normal, “Why does/does not this guy like me” analyses. I think about what it means to be strong, and if women are strong. I think about how our culture views women. I think about how the church views women. I think about feminism. I think about nature vs. nurture and complimentarianism. It gets to be a lot.

Maybe I am trying to protect my friends from relationships with guys who are less than amazing. Maybe I am trying to live out my grandmothers’ legacies. Maybe I worry about my sisters and friends. Maybe I feel more hurt and frustrated than I realize.

But here I am. Most of all, I want to hear God because I really trust Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment